This blog began as a daily painting blog but as life changes, so does a blog. It has become a journal of a writer who paints and enthusiastically works outdoors to maintain fitness.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

New cranes added to the flock!


There are extraordinary additions to the crane flock! I am absolutely delighted, charmed, excited by their presence!
You might wonder why I put so much time and effort into the stories of cranes. I might wonder as well. But they really do captivate me and I get immense enjoyment from seeing what that little flock does.
This weekend we hosted the annual deer hunt. Since all family members made their way home for a few days, we celebrated Thanksgiving, too. During a few free hours, Beth, my primary crane maker, set up a card table and along with other volunteers, magically transformed small pieces of paper into miniature white cranes. There were even a few butterflies, a box, and a ball of origami origin. The grandkids got involved when Beth got out the acrylic paint, pans in which to pour paint and dip cranes, and a few brushes to encourage the paint in proper directions.
Red cranes, green cranes and a few marbled cranes and butterflies gathered in a safe place where they could dry and not fly before they were ready. Beth very carefully, with a small brush, gave these cranes white eyes and yellow beaks. After that coat of paint dried, she added black pupils in the tiny eyes and then, with a single hair, added white highlights.
With the hubbub of the “holiday,” I didn’t see where the cranes went, until the next day. I went into my studio and found little flocks of two or three red cranes near the crow on the window sill above my desk; three red ones on the east window sill; four green ones behind a foam-core box; and more grouped in ones and twos on the little vases standing on the west window sill (these from a recent small flowers in small vases painting series). One bold crane landed on the shoulder of a ceramic bust of Artemis and is looking upward with adoring eyes. One is on the spout of a Grecian urn. I even found a few blue ones. Three are jostling for position on a candle holder. One red one and one blue one crowd the top of a silver vase which holds an American flag.
Boy are there new crane stories to tell in watercolor! I can hardly wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment