This blog began as a daily painting blog but as life changes, so does a blog. It has become a journal of a writer who paints and enthusiastically works outdoors to maintain fitness.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2 February Calligraphy


The morning drive to town is a regular source of inspiration. This morning, I noticed the upper branches of a single row of trees. They were silhouetted against the pre-dawn sky of bands of blue-gray and pink.

I painted the sky quickly with a large brush. It's necessary to lay it in rapidly when using acrylics. Otherwise, the paint dries too quickly to get a smooth effect. Working in haste, I managed to knock my palette off the easel's ledge. It landed upside down on my foot with a dollop of paint hitting the base of the easel. Amazingly enough, the paint missed the carpet. I finished the sky and then removed my sock to rinse out the paint before it dried. I haven't taken the time to put another sock on. I feel a little like Diddle Diddle Dumpling's son John. Now, let's stop to analyze that little ditty. No, let's not.

16" x 20" $330

3 comments:

  1. this one is my favorite so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little stories behind the paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan
    This one is just beautiful. It is very delicate and a wonderful expression of the magic of the woods in winter

    ReplyDelete