This blog began as a daily painting blog but as life changes, so does a blog. It has become a journal of a writer who paints and enthusiastically works outdoors to maintain fitness.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

January 24 Kitty Pearls


This is an example of how the sleeping brain processes what happens in everyday life.

A few months back, my friend Mikko gave me a turkey pearl. I'm still not sure what a turkey pearl is though the story that came with it indicated it was a food grinder, a gastrolith, from a turkey's crop. Mikko, by the way, is an artist who, among other things, paints cats.

Fade out to these nights of trying to keep Jed, our orange cat, out of the bedroom. He reaches under the door and wiggles the door until the latch slips.

Last night, I dreamed that cats emit flattened pearls from their eyes. I could tell when it was going to happen because the cat made a clicking noise before the pearls popped from its eyes. This didn't affect its vision in any way.

Jed has a colllar with a immunization tag on it. It clicks on the floor as do his claws when he's trying to open the door. My sleeping brain mixed Mikko's turkey pearl with Jed's night time antics and came up with kitty pearls.

When I started this painting, my intent was to paint a black mask with detailed eyes. It quickly evolved into more of a cat mask, black as night. The kitty pearls, like fat buttons, surround the mask and the luminous eyes from whence they came.

11" x 14" $240

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you doing sceneries again. They are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete